Dog saves boy from fire by biting foot

Dog saves boy from fire by biting foot

2 hours, 42 minutes ago

PORTAGE, Ind. – A black Labrador that bit a 13-year-old boy’s foot repeatedly, waking him up, is being credited with saving the boy and two of his friends from a house fire. Christopher Peebles said he woke up Friday morning to feel his dog Laney biting his foot repeatedly in the basement of his family’s home, where he and two friends had spent the night.

“I thought she had to go to the bathroom, but she never bites me,” Peebles said Friday.

He and his friends walked upstairs with Laney and noticed smoke everywhere in the home.

“We came up the stairs and thought it was a dream, but it was cold when we opened the door — then we knew it wasn’t a dream,” Pebbles said.

Firefighters arrived about 10 a.m. and found the home’s garage and eaves on fire. Assistant Fire Chief Mike Bucy said the damage was mostly in the attached one-car garage of the ranch home.

Fire Chief Bill Lundy said the fire, which caused an estimated $25,000 in damage to the home, appeared to have started in an electrical heating unit in the garage.

Peebles’ parents, Dave and Vicky Peebles, were both at work at the time of the fire. They said they were relieved that their son and his friends were not injured.

Dave Peebles said that one point after Laney had ushered Christopher and his friends out of the house the dog ran back inside and wouldn’t come out until he went in to get her.

Peebles said his son and the dog were “real close.”

“She’s always been very protective of him,” Vicky Peebles said of Laney.

Source

Advertisements

One Response

  1. Enter this dog, or another dog hero you know, in the The Humane Society of the United State’s “Dogs of Valor” contest and YOU could win cool prizes. Don’t wait, the deadline is TODAY May 30, 2008 at 5pm EST

    http://www.hsus.org/forms/dogs_of_valor_nomination_form.html

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: